Introduction to Ecological Plasma Technologies
Lecturers:prof. dr. Miran Mozetič
The students master the basic skills in the domain of plasma technologies and gain an overview of available equipment. They learn to critically assess deficiencies of conventional technological procedures for processing materials, in particular from the viewpoint of quality and ecological (un)acceptability of technologies. The students obtain knowledge required to independently prepare a study in which the possibilities of replacement of the existing conventional technologies by new plasma ones are assessed. They also learn to critically evaluate the advantages and deficiencies of plasma technologies, in particular the complexity of introduction of new technologies in terms of time, staff and funding, their ecological advantages and their quality.
- Unbalanced state of gas and gaseous discharge (one-way discharge, low-frequency discharge, radiofrequency discharge, microwave discharge, combined discharges)
- Plasma (plasma formation, basic characteristics and parameters of plasma, ionic and reactive plasmas, methods of plasma diagnostics, plasma reactors)
- Plasma technologies (interaction of plasma radicals with surface of solids, overview of vacuum plasma technologies, plasma surface activation and passivation, plasma cleaning, cold incineration, plasma functionalization and biocompatible materials, selective plasma etching, plasma sterilization)
- Plasma in industry (current state and trends, microelectronics, electrical industry, chemical industry, automobile industry, biology and medicine)
- Commercial aspects of plasma technologies (assessment of complexity of plasma technologies in terms of costs, staff and time, plasma technologies and ecology, safety at work with plasma equipment)
1. M. A. Lieberman and A. J. Lichtenberg, Principles of plasma discharges and materila processing, Wiley Interscience (2005).
2. R. Hippler, S. Pfan, M. Schmidt and K. H. Schoenbach, Low temperature plasma physics, Fundamental aspects and application, Wiley – WCH (2001).
3. J. R. Roth, Industrial plasma engineering, Vol. 2, Applications to non-thermal plasma processing, Inst. Of Physics Publishing (2001).
4. A. Ricard, Reactive plasmas, SFV, Paris (1996).
5. A. Grill, Cold plasma in material fabrication, IEEE Press (1993).
6. M. R. Wertheimer, L. Martinu and E. M. Liston, Plasma sources for polymer surface treatment, Handbook of thin film Process Technology, ed. by D.A.Glocker and S.I. Shah. Inst. Of Physics Publishing (1998).
Significant publications and references:
1. MOZETIČ, Miran, ZALAR, Anton. Recombination of neutral oxygen atoms on stainless steel surface. Appl. surf. sci.. [Print ed.], 2000, no. 158, str. 263-267.
2. MOZETIČ, Miran, ZALAR, Anton, PANJAN, Peter, BELE, Marjan, PEJOVNIK, Stane, GRMEK, Rok. A method of studying carbon particle distribution in pant films. Thin solid films. [Print ed.], 2000, vol. 376, str. 5-8.
3. ARČON, Iztok, MOZETIČ, Miran, KODRE, Alojz, JAGIELSKI, Jacek, TRAVERSE, Agnes. EXAFS study of NiAl in thin films. J. synchrotron radiat., 2001, vol. 8, str. 493-495.
4. BABIČ, Dušan, POBERAJ, Igor, MOZETIČ, Miran. Fiber optic catalytic probe for weakly ionized oxygen plasma characterization. Rev. sci. instrum., 2001, 72, str. 4110-4114.
5. MOZETIČ, Miran. Discharge cleaning with hydrogen plasma. Vacuum. [Print ed.], May 2001, vol. 61, no. 2/4, str. 367-371.
6. VESEL, Alenka, MOZETIČ, Miran, ZALAR, Anton. Oxidation of AISI 304L stainless steel surface with atomic oxygen. Appl. surf. sci.. [Print ed.], 2002, vol. 200, str. 94-103.
7. POBERAJ, Igor, MOZETIČ, Miran, BABIČ, Dušan. Comparison of fiber optics and standard nickel catalytic probes for determination of neutral oxygen atoms concentration. J. vac. sci. technol., A, Vac. surf. films, 2002, 20, str. 189-193.
8. MOZETIČ, Miran, ZALAR, Anton, JAGIELSKI, Jacek, ARČON, Iztok, PANJAN, Peter. Characterization of NiAl thin layers by AES and EXAFS. Surf. interface anal., Aug. 2002, vol. 34, no. 1, str. 365-368.
9. MOZETIČ, Miran, ZALAR, Anton, CVELBAR, Uroš, POBERAJ, Igor. Heterogeneous recombination of neutral oxygen atoms on niobium surface. Appl. surf. sci.. [Print ed.], 2003, vol. 211, str. 96-101.
10. MOZETIČ, Miran, RICARD, Andre, BABIČ, Dušan, POBERAJ, Igor, LEVATON, Jacque, MONNA, Virginie, CVELBAR, Uroš. Comparison of NO titration and fiber optics catalytic probes for determinationof neutral oxygen atom concentration in plasmas and postglows. J. vac. sci. technol., A, Vac. surf. films, 2003, vol. 21, str. 369-374.
11. KUNAVER, Matjaž, MOZETIČ, Miran, KLANJŠEK GUNDE, Marta. Selective plasma etching of powder coatings. Thin solid films. [Print ed.], 2004, vol. 459, no. 1/2, str. 115-117.
12. MOZETIČ, Miran, CVELBAR, Uroš, VESEL, Alenka, RICARD, Andre, BABIČ, Dušan, POBERAJ, Igor. A diagnostic method for real-time measurements of the density of nitrogen atoms in the postglow of an Ar-N[sub]2 discharge using a catalytic probe. J. appl. physi., 2005, vol. 97, str. 103308-1-103308-7.
Oral examination and a term paper.
Production of positively rated term paper and oral defence.